CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, February 23, 2009

Medication Stupor

So just returned from a trip to my grandparents house. Although, not all the best circumstances, all is well now. My grandmother called me and 5 am on Tuesday morning stating that my grandfather was acting weird and seeing people that weren't there. My grandfather is a stubborn man who once, many years ago, had a stroke and waited 4 days until his already scheduled doctors appt. Why go to the doctors early..when he can just wait for his original appt. Grrr. My grandmother wanted to know what she should do since he would refuse to go to the doctor or hospital. She listens to him regardless and it bothers me that she won't use her better judgement and make the call. Different people, different times, I guess. After asking her a few questions, I didn't think he needed to go to the hospital, but if anything changed my grandmother was instructed to call 911. I called my mom and we headed 7 hours north. I was nervous and worried that he may have had another stoke or a transient ischemic attack (TIA). It was fear of the unknown and when you are in a car, driving a fast as you can-it is high anxiety. When we arrived, I looked at him and realized he was looking right through me. I asked him how he felt and he said "terrible". He was hallucinating and talking to people how were not in the room. I can't even explain in words, how I felt. I looked at his medication and realized he was taking WAY too much pain medication. I stopped the medication immediately. As a nurse in the family, they think I am suppose to have all the answers. I do not claim to know everything, but some things are just basic nursing skills. Although, not a doctor, I do feel more confident in my judgement than the judgement of his 85 year old, near death or retirement doctor. After a day or so without all the pain medication, my grandfather began feeling better and more like himself. What a relief that was. I wrote down all the medications they are taking and have made a pack with my grandmother that they are not to take any medications again, without checking we me first. Hopefully, this will work and we will not be in the situation again. Keeping my fingers crossed.

0 comments: